- Small Text
- Regular Text
- Big Text
What we do
As part of The Children's Society, we reach out to young carers from all communities through our National and local programmes, helping voluntary and statutory services supporting young carers. This group includes children and young people who care for parents or siblings who suffer from chronic illness or disability.
We also campaign for change and promote best practice with central and local government and work in partnership with social workers, teachers and health care professionals to deliver solutions that consider the needs of the whole family.
We achieve these pursuits through complimentary areas of work:
- Our Making a step change programme works Nationally, focusing on helping local authorities develop a whole family support for families, specifically focusing on The Children and Families Act and The Care Act, also using Working Together To Support Young Carers - A Model Local Memorandum of Understanding between Statutory Directors for Children’s Services and Adult Social Services and Recognised, Valued and Supported: Next Steps for the Carers Strategy 2010.
- Our Young Carers in Focus Programme is developing an England-wide network of Young Carers Champions to advocate change locally and nationally for young carers and their families
- Our innovative new programme Young Carers in Schools works with teachers and school professionals across England to meet the needs of young carers. Your school can join in - find out more about Young Carers in Schools.
- Our programme provides tools to support refugee families, BME (black and minority ethnic) family carers and families affected by HIV.
- The Include Programme is based in Hampshire and we promote whole family working and good practice, across all agencies, for young carers and their families.
Please learn more about our programme.
Hidden from View
Young carers are lagging behind in school and missing out on their childhoods because of the demands placed on them, according to Hidden from View - released today by The Children’s Society to coincide with census statistics.
Hidden from View analyses government data tracking 15,000 children across England. It reveals the significant long-term impact that caring has on a child’s life, confirming The Children’s Society’s experience of working with young carers and their families throughout England.
The Children's Society
We are part of The Children's Society, a national children's charity that wants to create a society where children and young people are valued, respected and happy.
Learn more about The Children's Society.
The Children's Society © 2015. All rights reserved. Charity Registration No. 221124